Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Getting Skunk-Ready For Winter





deténte



had there 
been reasons 
to look through
night windows,
back yard 
lit judiciously, I 
would have 
anticipated the 
polecat edging 
the grass into 
darkened, shaded 
recesses of 
midnight.

what strikes fear 
brought a smile 
to my cornered 
mouth; a sense 
of contentment 
that I 
and fear 
can live in
unusually 
normal 
harmony. 



Poem ©2011 R. Burnett Baker 
Painting by Melissa Barton 
(Image of original painting has been digitally altered)

4 comments:

  1. ha...especially when there is a window between you...smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice... lights, windows, and creatures that roam the night. Good to be inside looking out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. a pane of glass between you . . . we never see skunks where i am . . .i can't understand why. steven

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clever choice of words and easy flow...
    loved this especially -

    I
    and fear
    can live in
    unusually
    normal
    harmony.

    ReplyDelete