Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Magpie Tales Seven: And Willow Said It Was Easy!


I knew it!  I knew it about five seconds after I posted it.  My little "poeyum" about daffodils/Narcissus wasn't going to say it like I meant it! 

We bloggers relish the comments from other writers and readers, and I kind of held my breath on this poem, wondering how others would see it.  Writer and poet Peter Goulding (Blog: The Stammering Poet) confirmed what I feared:  This little verse wasn't meant to be read.  

It was meant to be READ.  You know.  Out loud.  And I only do that to myself behind closed doors.  (Narcissistic?) Even then I'm embarrassed.  

Peter was, correctly, confused by the last two words:  "...become me."  I was inspired by Willow's photo of a daffodil (Blogs: Magpie Tales and Life At Willow Mansion).  That flower's family name of "narcissus" just ticked me pin.....uh yellow, and I decided to have a bit of fun with it. 

And yes, Peter, I DID intend those two words to mean that they wanted to BE me!  I mean who doesn't, or wouldn't!  The poem can be read a couple of ways, but I wanted to highlight the idea of a narcissistic being thinking he's all that.  Apparently, I'm not.  All.  That. 

I suppose reading some poems in print simply cannot convey the intended inflections the spoken word is able to present.  When another comment said that the poem made her "...think...and reread, and think, and reread...a sure sign of an excellent writer."  I thought, to myself, "or one who can't get his message across!!" 

But the comments were and are appreciated.  And, Peter, you're NOT having a senior moment! That's MY fault!  

"Roses are red, violets are purple, sugar's sweet, so is maple suurple." 

Best to everyone! 


Rick Baker 
March 31, 2010

The work of art depicted in this image and the reproduction thereof are in the public domain worldwide. The reproduction is part of a collection of reproductions compiled by The Yorck Project. The compilation copyright is held by Zenodot Verlagsgesellschaft mbH and licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License


  

3 comments:

  1. I'll admit, I did read the last line a few times, but actually loved the sound of it, and the mystery. Poetry, like art, doesn't always have to be understood. I loved it, Rick.

    Like our friend Julia Child used to say, NEV-er apologize!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh but you are all that...now pass the maple syrup. smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Willow.... Hope this didn't sound like I was bitter or annoyed... I absolutely wasn't! Sometimes the nuances of speech just can't be conveyed by written words. It was fun, though!

    Brian... Ok. I am. LOL! Sorry, no syrup left. My sweet tooth got the best of me...

    ReplyDelete