Friday, July 13, 2012

An Old Poem



Here's a poem from my old poem files.  This particular one was written in 1977, and later published in The Albany Review, 1985, State University of New York.  That year I was on the Editorial  Board of the AR.  I don't believe the AR is being published now, and I have no idea when it ceased publication.


listen




can you, 
               so far away,
hear my mind as it cries
               within my skull 
for the warmth of your 
               hand upon my face? 


surely 
               you must, 
for I can fleetingly
               and vaguely feel
your fingers gently press 
               my cheek 
to lift the tear 
               away 
before it 
               smashes onto the 
floor. 




© 1977, 2012 R. Burnett Baker 




No comments:

Post a Comment