Tuesday, July 5, 2022

A New Pledge

 



For my Facebook 4th of July post I decided to stir the pot, so-to-speak.  I knew it would rile my right-wing friends, and I also didn't expect to get any engagement with the post.  I was correct about the second part of that:  The post only received one angry emoji.  

On the above image of a US flag with the stars replaced by corporate logos, I overlaid the new Pledge of Allegiance that I created some time ago.  It's an accurate rendering of what this once-named Constitutional Republic has become, which is a corporatocracy.  All our so-called representatives are bought and paid for by lobbyists who do the bidding for favors to the multi-national companies that rule the world.  They certainly rule this country.  

I felt it was long past time for us to have a new pledge that more accurately describes where politicians' allegiance lies, and where all aspects of citizens' lives are determined.  Of course, the SCOTUS set that stone with the 2010 Citizens United ruling, which is just another example of how that branch of government is totally corrupt, and is the weakest link in our system of Checks & Balances.  So, here it is, and you can now place your right hand over your wallet and left hand in your pocket jingling your change as you recite Rick Baker's Pledge of Allegiance:  

                                                



July 5, 2022

Rick Burnett Baker 

Rochester, NY.  

3 comments:

  1. Back in the 1960's Eugene McCarthy gave a lecture at Georgetown, where I was a student. In response to a question he mentioned the concept of a "duty to get elected," which has an effect on an official's words and actions. Now it seems that the duty entails getting funding from deep pockets even more thanacknowledging the wishes of the electorate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And thanks to Citizens United 2010 and no term limits, the electorate is unimportant. Lifetime positions will be the norm for the "lifers" in Congress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naturegesetz, that comment was from me...Rick Baker. Somehow my name didn't appear

      Delete