Sunday, July 26, 2015

Magpie Tales 280: Empire of Self

Magpie Tales is a writing prompt that I participated in for several years.  Lately, however, my work schedule has taken more of my time, and I haven't been able to visit Tess Kincaid and Magpie for some time.

Now that I'm recouping from shoulder surgery, time is what I have plenty of!  This image that Tess is sharing this week is compelling.  I can't help but read political messages in this scene as our pathetic process of presidential campaigns begins to ramp-up here in the United States.  This is a perfect image for that process. Glad to offer my take on this image this week with a short poem below!





















empire lost


attention span is 
the obvious flaw.

freedom is choice, 
details necessity.

want, however, 
trumps need. 

we are consumed by 
what grounds us:  

self.






Poem © 2015 Rick Burnett Baker 

13 comments:

  1. Wow, you nailed it. I'm also American, and I dread the upcoming presidential race. And, very clever that you got the word 'trump' (well, "trumps" actually) in there. Hope your shoulder heals well. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like what you did with this prompt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! that is so beautifully penned. Loved reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the more self obsessed we all are ,the quicker our moribund system will collapse ....faster , faster !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent !! I too am finding what poses as Presidential campaigns are beyond stupid and banal and meaningless. Demorats and Rebutts are equal in what choices we are given. There isn't a one that is honest, intelligent and one that gives a hoot about our country and it's tax paying citizens. It's all about power baby and I am angry about this situation as are so many others.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sharply and rather powerfully written...

    ReplyDelete
  7. We observe the campaign from abroad. Interesting to see what insiders think!

    ReplyDelete
  8. superb apt for the situation there,

    Ashamed

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderfully crafted. Your words express the feelings of so many... Our current political situation has gone beyond ridiculous; it's as if our entire system has become a pitiful reality show, where only a few remember what's really at stake.

    And yes, your use of the word "trump" made cringe a bit. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. Hope that shoulder recovers soon. I've been there and understand how miserable it can be.

      Delete
  10. Excellent and fun to see you at Magpie Rick...

    ReplyDelete