Sunday, May 12, 2013

Magpie Tales 168: Looking Back, Looking







                                         redress 


          long ago, even, it wasn't our style 
to dress the part, but we did. 

           ageist, sexist, applied hotness with swagger 
(so bloody pointless) 

          ultimately, naked happened; it happened 
and ended in dismissive pall, 

          and waiting for a cab was about as couture 
as it got, arms outstretched to hail our  

suave superiority. 



Poem © 2013 Rick Burnett Baker 
Photo by   Togan Gokbakar   shared by Tess Kincaid.

11 comments:

  1. ha. dressing the part only to end up naked...ha....its not bad to get the swag on every once in a while you know...just to make it special...ha on that last line...

    ReplyDelete
  2. you stopped short of describing how sexy her wattle was. lol what an interesting take on this picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nyl, it was the "wattle" that stopped me! Lol!

      Delete
    2. Wasn't there a character in Ally McBeal who was just obsessed with women's wattles? lol

      And as I review the picture/post, I get how you made them stylish and stuff. I think the way the woman's standing, the way she's got her chin up (for lack of a better word) this woman's got swag!

      Delete
    3. I don't remember that character....I've got the image of that dancing baby in my head from Ally McBeal. Ha! I think that in my mind I superimposed this image over what we think (thought) of ourselves when we're younger, and how it's all ultimately meaningless. But, yeah... they both have some swag! Ha!

      Delete
    4. The ooga chaka baby! I love love love that kid. I believe it was Richard who had a thing for wattles. Sorry, a large part of my childhood was spent watching shows like Ally McBeal. Maybe that's why I'm such a depressing blogger. haha

      Delete
  3. Inventive interpretation of the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dressing up to get naked? LOL I think that probably happens a lot!

    ReplyDelete