Tuesday, June 12, 2012

City Scenes XIV: Graffiti Minds









"Too FAt FoR 
LEAtheR"


the city doesn't 
care about my 
looks.

reflection-checking
in shop windows 
is revealing only 
to my mind and 
definitely at 
a quickened 
pace, passing

window after window, 
hoping no one 
notices me looking 
at me, checking 
to see if I'd do me…

mostly I'd politely 
pass, proffering,
 "no thanks,
I'm just browsing!" 

besides, I look 
better in baggy 
pants. 



Poem © 2012 R. Burnett Baker 
Photo © 2012 R. Burnett Baker 
Photo taken by R. Baker at The Bug Jar bar, Monroe Avenue, Rochester, NY.

5 comments:

  1. checking to see if i would do me...haha...i may be guilty...nice capture of the graffiti too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. you said this was "different" but i think this is just the side of you i see on facebook. lolz

    that's okay. ready to wear apparel hates me too. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hell of it is that I'm so physical at work, walking, climbing, lifting 12 hours a day, and just too fkng beat afterward to work out and get that bit of extra in the middle to go away! Oh, well. I suppose the alternative is worse. I had a friend who had cancer a few years ago and was skin and bones. We ran into one another at the mall and I was complaining about having gained some weight. He just cocked his head and said "Honey, be grateful for what you've got!"

      Now THAT puts things into perspective!

      Delete
    2. But Rick, everything in the cancer perspective's like that. haha i think a little weight and all our other problems will seem mundane when compared to a disease that's slowly killing you. :p

      Delete
  3. I LOVE these city scene poems! Edgy and Real ... keep it up.

    ReplyDelete