Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Summer's Here? Or There?

  
In the Northeast summer really got started the second week of August.  And last night, temps in the 40's were ushering in the first early morning of September.  I mean, really!  Global warming is beginning to be a big disappointment for me.  Sure Texas and some of the Great Plains states have sizzled this summer, but overall the rest of the country has been relatively cool.  

I'm just not ready to wear sweaters and jackets.  And I'm hoping I don't begin to smell that metallic fragrance of sn** in the air this month.  

It's just too soon to chill!  


Rick Baker 
Rochester, NY
September 1, 2009


summer grips 



chill 
this first evening 
of September.

clear its sky
as summer grips 
a desperate 
night. 

why do we 
see ourselves 
breathe 
when we 
should be 
fanning 

droplets of 
sultry 
sweat? 


Poem © 2009 by R. Burnett Baker 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment